oil and tempera on canvas
58,5 x 23,3 cm (23 x 9 1/8 in.)
In October of 1928, Schlemmer, who at that time was still at the Bauhaus (until 1929), received a commission from the director of the Folkwang Museum in Essen, Ernst Gosebruch. He should create murals in the circular room built by Henry van de Velde, in the centre of which stood a figural fountain monument created by the art nouveau sculptor Georg Minne. The present work was a study for one of four single panels that made up the first of three versions Schlemmer designed for the decoration of the fountain room.