Gouache, Tinte und Collage auf Papier auf Leinwand
52,5 x 39,5 cm
rückseitig signiert und datiert
Marini is particularly known for his stylised statues and paintings of horses, with or without a rider. Probably the most famous example is "The Angel of the City", standing by the Canale Grande in Venice in front of the Peggy Guggenheim Collection. Marini attended the Accademia Di Belle Arti in Florence in 1917. From this time his work was influenced by Etruscan art and the sculpture of Arturo Martini. Marini succeeded Martini as professor at the Scuola d’Arte di Villa Reale in Monza, near Milan, in 1929, a position he retained until 1940. Marini saw the relationship between horse and human as a symbol for the state of humankind, especially after World War II. While the early sculptures depict rider and horse as a serene unity, the horses in his works become increasingly agitated, until they finally throw the rider off or both of them fall down, as in the sculpture "Miracolo" in front of the Neue Pinakothek in Munich. Marini saw the different versions as expressions of unity, helplessness and imbalance, showing the dependency and vulnerability of Man.